Thursday, March 18, 2010

Anesthesia Board

Well, today was the start of the board exams. We had a written exam in the morning. We had 55 questions and 60 minutes to complete them. I felt SO confident in my knowledge of anesthesia but when I opened the test booklet and started the test I knew NONE of the answers! It was such a HARD test! I wasn't ready for that! They gave us about an hour while they graded them and then we could check our envelope with our results in it. If we didn't pass the written we couldn't do the clinical exam later that day. I fully expected not to pass because the exam was SO hard! I got my envelope and went to a corner and peeked inside. I PASSED!!! I am SO blessed! Whew! So now I could do the clinical exam.

My mom was my patient for the clinical exam (what a sweetie for letting me give her shots!!) When it was my turn the called me in and I went to set up. Then I brought my mom back. The first shot went perfect! The second one had a little blood enter the cartridge (which means I was in a blood vessel-not particularly dangerous) but this is a bad thing to have happen in an exam. Luckily my friend Staci had done her exam before and had the exact thing happen. She talked her way throught it (to the examiners) and she passed! So I thought I'd try it too. When the examiners left to discuss what they thought I looked at my mom and said "I could have just failed for what I just did!" SCARY! So the examiners came back and told me I could release my patient and clean up. Then I had to wait for the envelope again. I waited and waited. I walked over to check and my envelope was there. EEKS! So I peaked in and I PASSED! I got the "purple success memo"! HOORAY!!! Another hard thing done! Now on to tomorrow for the clinical exam. YIKES!

No comments: